Surrender


Fear.  Anxiety.  Depression.  Grief.  Isolation.  These are all things many of us are battling right now amid social distancing and the COVID-19 pandemic.  They are real, and they can be so overwhelming that we become paralyzed and stuck in them.  I, for one, have been struggling. 

Being an introvert who values alone time, I thought this social distancing thing would be a breeze.  Turns out, not so much.  I feel anxious for my clients, my coworkers, my family members and friends who fall into the “high risk” category for contracting this virus and potentially severe symptoms, if they do.  I feel depression creeping in from being stuck at home for days on end, leaving me lazy and unmotivated to do even the simple things like vacuum the living room.  I feel grief over the schools closing through the end of the year and the likeliness that my son’s last year to play baseball for Babe Ruth will not happen.  I feel isolated from my small group women, my best friend, my family, and my coworkers, even with Zoom meetings and technological tools that help us stay somewhat connected in this crazy time.

The greatest thing I feel in this strange new normal is simply overwhelm.  I feel overwhelmed that I do not have control over much of anything.  Even if I take every precaution, as recommended by the CDC, I cannot control if I contract this virus.  I cannot control if those I care about contract it.  I cannot control how long we will have to practice social distancing.  I cannot control the reactions, attitudes, or behaviors of others in all of this. 

I’ve never really had control over these things to begin with, even before the pandemic.  The truth is that God is, and has always been, the one in control.  Of everything!  My feeble attempts to control my reality, are in vain; a false perception that I have the power to make things happen or not happen.  I do have the ability to make choices or take actions that may have a direct impact on the outcome of things in my life.  I should do those things, through prayer and good counsel, and in obedience to God’s leading.  However, the outcomes, despite my actions and choices, are never guaranteed.  I do not have the ability to know or determine the future.



That is why faith is so vital.  Hebrews 11:1 says, “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see (NIV).”  Faith is trusting God, even when we cannot see the outcome.  It is believing He is fully in control, and He is working all things for His good.  “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28)


How can God be using this pandemic, this virus that is taking lives, this social distancing that is isolating people, this negative impact it is having on our economy for good?  I don’t fully know.  Known of us do.  And we aren’t meant to know.  If we knew, we wouldn’t need faith, would we?  What I can say is that if you look a little more closely through the lens of gratitude, you will see pieces of the good.  Pieces like people sewing and donating masks to protect our healthcare workers, people checking in on their elderly neighbors, people delivering meals for those who cannot leave their homes, or an increase in online sermons and worship sessions.  These are all small pieces of God’s goodness that will become a bigger, greater good.  I truly believe that God is using this situation to draw His people back to Him, to fully rely on Him, and to grow in relationship with Him. 

In order to find peace in this chaos, we must surrender.

We must let go of our desire to be in control.  We must place our worries, our hurts, our everything into God’s hands, and believe Him when He says He’s got this.  Because He does.  John 16:33 says, “in this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world!”



So, will you use this time of turmoil and unease to fall back in the Father’s arms?  Will you allow Him to supply your peace?  Will you surrender your will to His?  Will you let go of your grasps at control and let Him carry you through?  I pray that you will!  I pray that we all will!

If you would like to know more about Jesus or would like me to pray for you, I'd be honored to do so!


Comments